MSBA to Lincoln: Take a hike
In an email blast from Jennifer Glass, Chairman of the Lincoln School Committee reported that the MSBA has decided that the new L-shaped design is a new project, different from the one that it approved. It is requiring Lincoln to submit a new Statement of Interest (SOI).
Here is the email:
|A message from LINCOLN SCHOOL DISTRICT
|Dear Lincoln CommunityOn February 15, 2013, the Lincoln Public Schools submitted a letter and supporting documents to the Massachusetts School Building Authority (MSBA) regarding the community outreach conducted since the failed November 3rd Town Meeting vote on a school project. The letter requested that the MSBA consider allowing Lincoln to remain in the funding pipeline with a project that meets all of its stated facilities and educational needs, but with a solution that retains the current building configuration. This configuration was labeled the “L-shaped” plan.
In response to the letter, a conference call including three members of the MSBA staff, Superintendent Becky McFall and myself took place on Wednesday
afternoon. The MSBA said that Lincoln can expect a written response from them within the next few days, and outlined several key points the letter will
- The MSBA has determined that the proposed “L-shaped” configuration is a different project because the sizes, locations and adjacencies of the rooms are different. This results in the
project having a different scope of work from the previously-approved project.
- The MSBA has determined that our proposal is a different project because there is a change in the ratio between new construction and renovation.
- The MSBA is encouraging us to submit a new Statement of Interest before the April
10, 2013 deadline noting that Lincoln was initially chosen because it has significant needs, and that those needs still exist.
- The School Committee is convening a multi-board meeting to discuss the steps needed
to submit a new statement of interest. Details of the meeting will be announced
as soon as they are set.
- We will share the information in this email during the “superintendent’s report” portion of tonight’s School Committee meeting. This is scheduled for 8:15pm on the agenda.
- The letter from the MSBA will be shared with the community as soon as it is received.
On behalf of the School Committee, I would like to express our thanks to the community for its high level of engagement during the past few months. We will
continue to keep you informed, and invite your participation, as events unfold.
Chair, Lincoln School Committee
This entry was posted in Uncategorized
. Bookmark the permalink